Jacob's Profile + Resume
My name is Jacob McAdam. I'm a visual designer, website developer, and artist living in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Design became my career path when I realized design is a means of understanding the world around me. I consider the creative process to be much like the scientific method: a recursive state of questioning and refinement through iterations over time. I consider my best work to be whatever project is next.
I'd like to invite you to reach out should you need help with a project or want to expand your professional network.
Jacob graduated from San Francisco State University with a Bachelor of Science in Visual Communication Design.
I'm very interested in opportunities that allow me to work with brand identity, brand design systems, and designing for consumer experience. I'm also interested in motion graphics and animation. Working collaboratively with a team of designers is something I would find very valuable!
Areas of Expertise
Graphic Design, Print Design, Brand Design, Information Design, Design Research, Web Design, User-Interface Design (UI), User-Experience Design (UX)
Front-End Development, Responsive Design, WordPress Theme Development, Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Collateral Marketing Design, Social Media Marketing, Email Marketing, Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
Creative Direction, People Management, Project Management, Business Operations
Skills & Proficiencies
Here are the most prominent hard-skills in my tool belt.
Markup & Programming Languages
Developer Tools & Resources
Frameworks, Content Management & Open Source Libraries
Marketing & SEO Tools
I've had over 10 years experience working in the digital media industry. Below is detailed history of who I've worked for and how I've evolved within each opportunity including some of the clients I've helped, projects I completed, and the positions I've held.
Inkling Systems, Inc.
Inkling builds eLearning software that empowers employees. Inkling is a mobile-first solution that puts actionable information into the hands of the frontline, when they need it, on any device.
2018 – Current
San Francisco, California
Computer Software, eLearning
November 2018 – Current · Full-Time
- Interview clients to identify pain-points to determine what problems will need to be alleviated through well designed content.
- Create an Inkdoc template utilizing components of the clients’ brand elements and apply it to the Inkling platform.
- Collaborate with content strategists on our team to determine the best organization and treatment of the client’s intellectual property through digital document design (responsive web design) principles.
- Design for AX (Authoring-Experience) using web design principles and techniques. This includes modifying the Inkling platform with HTML, CSS, SASS, XML, and other proprietary software to ensure the authoring environment produces only client-branded content in the WYSIWYG interface.
- Research and develop an industry standard of best practices for digital document design and content architecture.
- Led a team of 2 to complete a cross-functional OKR. Our objective was to develop a procedural overview for collecting client feedback and elevating it to the Product management team. The initiative included multiple user interviews, iterative documentation drafting, and a final book detailing best practices.
- Design and create technical writing (internal website) for Inkling’s proprietary software in the form of iterative documentation.
- Collaborate with the Operations team to create employee SWAG to boost morale and company culture. This included campaign branding for a hackathon, and stickers to promote our social clubs.
- “Stretch Award” Employee Recognition,
Inkling 10-Year Anniversary · Fall 2019
OptiRev is a team of digital marketing and website specialists who optimize revenue sources and channels for businesses in the hospitality industry.
2015 – 2018
San Francisco Bay Area
Hospitality Marketing & Websites
Lead Designer & Director of Website Development
June – November 2018 · Full-Time
- Directed and produced design projects for our clients including website designs, logo designs, brand elements, and other touchpoints including collateral marketing.
August 2016 – June 2018 · Part-Time
- Developed and rolled-out new professional services for our clients. Each level of services offered a different benefit to our clients for securing their website, improving accessibility and user experience, or resolving SEO-related issues.
- Supported the Executive Team in a business acquisition of Destination Intelligence Software Solutions. My involvement included analyzing the proprietary software acquired, identifying weak points in company processes, and enhancing the company's product positioning and brand design.
Web Team Manager
January – August 2016 · Full-Time
- Led a web team of 3 developers. Reviewed employee tasks and hours regularly to ensure a fairly distributed workload. Sustained a project management role for all website implementations—while jumping in to fill additional roles such as front-end designer, content developer, web developer, or tester.
- Sustained positive relationships with clients through monthly and quarterly business reviews. Website analytic reports were produced to show trends and identify weak points from key metrics.
June – December 2015 · Contractor
- Routine optimization of website content was performed using tools such as Google Analytics, Google Search Console, PageSpeed Insights, or Bing Webmaster Tools to increase user sessions and conversions.
- Designed and developed mobile-friendly email marketing campaigns, using HTML and CSS, in MailChimp.
- Marcy Carriker Smothers Personal Brand
- The Vine Inn Davis Website Design
- Destination Intelligence Marketing Design
- Park Avenue Catering Website Redesign
- Benbow Historic Inn Website
- Santa Rosa School District Campaign Brand
- OptiRev Website Redesign
- Paradise Ridge Winery Business Cards
- Stay In The Bay Website Redesign Series
- Amsterdam Hostel Website Redesign
Founded by Marv Soiland in 1962, Soiland Company is a second-generation family business based in Sonoma County. Soiland manufactures and sells aggregate rock, soil, compost, and mulch products.
2015 – Current
Visual Designer & Website Specialist
March 2018 – Current · Contractor
- Designed, developed, and deployed a series of WordPress websites for all sister companies. Each website was interconnected with a parent-child theme system and individually branded.
- Routinely update website software and plugins, audit SEO errors, and back-up databases for all websites.
March 2015 – March 2018 · Contractor
- Enhanced the consistency of company branding and marketing assets by improving designs for business cards & email signatures.
Design Working Group
The Design Working Group is small and selective class of students working intensively and collaboratively as a design studio that designs materials in print and digital formats for the SF State University community.
January – May 2018
San Francisco, California
January – May 2018 · Internship
- Worked on projects involving poster design, signage design, and editorial design. Participated in group critiques and collaborative design processes.
- Corresponded with clients and helped facilitate project management to meet milestones and deadlines.
PBHS is the ADA Member Endorsed website design and marketing services provider for dental, dental specialty, and medical communities.
2011 – 2015
Santa Rosa, California
Internet, Dental and Medical
SEO Web Developer
January 2012 – June 2015 · Part-Time
- Created interactive landing pages using Photoshop mock-ups/assets for Google AdWords campaigns using Bootstrap, HTML, CSS, and jQuery.
- Provided routine website maintenance to hundreds of clients simultaneously. Updates included changes to website content (HTML), styles (CSS), behavior (jQuery), editing images, modifying flash media, adding or improving responsive design capabilities—on both legacy HTML and responsive WordPress websites.
- Facilitated the SEO department’s marketing committee to create content for monthly campaign reports. Contributions to the project involved marketing campaign planning and copy writing.
Product Support & Trainer
September 2011 – December 2012 · Full-Time
- Provided technical customer support and training for clients using WordPress websites and iPad software applications.
- Created and launched a documentation website for the company’s iPad application. Included a website built with HTML and CSS, original copy writing, and visual aids.
Artstart is an award-winning non-profit educational arts organization serving all of Sonoma County. Artstart provides inspiration to young artists and creates a sense of pride in our community.
2007 – 2013
Santa Rosa, California
Non-Profit, Youth Arts Program
Graphic Designer/Web Developer
September 2011 – 2013 · Contractor
- Designed a set of business cards with updated branding elements.
- Designed a brochure to target prospective clients.
- Designed and developed unique landing pages for annual auction events. Included a jQuery photo gallery and option to buy tickets online via PayPal.
- Improved website accessibility, load time, and performance by replacing outdated flash media with HTML and CSS.
Summer 2007, 2008, 2009 · Part-Time
- Assisted with the design process for various murals, signage, and art pieces.
- Participated in the coloring, painting, and installation process of various art projects.
BYU-I Comm Student Media
BYU-I Comm Student Media is a BYU-Idaho practicuum course for students in the journalism, content-creation, and internet industries. Students work together in a corporate-like organization to serve real clients in the greater Madison County region.
April – July 2010
Journalism, Marketing, and Media
Junior Graphic Designer
January – May 2010 · Internship
- Designed dozens of newsprint advertisements for the student newspaper "The Scroll".
- Designed client documents and advertising such as booklets and brochures.
- Collaborated in creative processes to generate ideas for marketing campaigns and design assets.
I've studied at 3 college campuses and recieved my B.S. of Graphic Design in 2018. I continue to grow my knowledge through online courses, career-building events, and on the job training.
San Francisco State University
SF State's pioneering commitment to community and civic engagement is prevalent throughout the curriculum. The University has been named by Princeton Review one of 81 "Colleges with a Conscience," and is classified as one of the Carnegie Foundation's "Community Engagement" institutions.
San Francisco, California
Visual Communication Design
Bachelor of Science: Visual Communication Design
- Graduated with Honors, Spring 2018
- Senior Honor Roll, College of Liberal & Creative Arts, Fall 2017
- 1st Place, Best in Class: GreenThumbs App, DES 324 Oral Competition, Fall 2017
- 1st Place, Best Hack to Reduce Online Harassment Award, SF Hacks (Major League Hackathon), March 2017
- 1st Place, Best Beginner Award, SF Hacks (Major League Hackathon) March 2017
Student Organizations & Events
- Co-Founder & Treasurer of Occult Club at SFSU, Spring 2017–2018
- Member of INCubed, Spring & Fall 2017
- Member of AIGA, Spring 2017
- Participant, Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activities Showcase, Spring 2018
- Participant, SF Hacks, Spring 2017
Santa Rosa Junior College
SRJC is dedicated to the democratic ideal of making higher education accessible to all, and this college community works to ensure a positive and inclusive experience for students and staff alike.
Santa Rosa, California
Computer Science, Art
Computer Science Certification: Web Graphic Designer
- Principles of Screen Design
- Advanced Web Graphics
- Computer Studies Internship
- Web Design CSS/Graphics
Computer Science Certification: HTML Web Content Developer
- Cascading Style Sheets
- HTML and CSS 1 & 2
- HTML5 Interactive Websites
- Flash Web Animation
Brigham Young University of Idaho
BYU-Idaho seeks to create a wholesome learning environment in which students can strengthen their commitment to receive a quality education that prepares them for leadership in the home, the community, and the workplace.
Graphic Design, Advertising