Jacob’s Education & Experience
I hold a Bachelor’s degree in Visual Communication Design and have been working in the creative industries since 2010.
Certification, Education, and Training
Bachelor of Science: Visual Communication Design
Spring 2018 | San Francisco State University
Honors & Achievements:
- Graduated with Honors, Spring 2018
- Senior Honor Roll, College of Liberal
& Creative Arts, Fall 2017
- 1st Place, Best in Class: GreenThumbs App,
DES 324 Oral Competition, Fall 2017
- 1st Place, Best Hack to Reduce Online
Harassment Award, March 2017
- 1st Place, Best Beginner Award, March 2017
Student Organizations & Events:
- Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, and
Creative Activities Showcase Participant, Spring 2018
- SF Hacks Participant, Spring 2017
- Co-Founder & Treasurer of Occult Club at SFSU,
- Member of INCubed, Spring & Fall 2017
- Member of AIGA, Spring 2017
Computer Science Certification: Web Graphic Designer
May 2013 | Santa Rosa Junior College
- Principles of Screen Design
- Advanced Web Graphics
- Computer Studies Internship
- Web Design CSS/Graphics
Computer Science Certification: HTML Web Content Developer
December 2012 | Santa Rosa Junior College
- Cascading Style Sheets
- HTML and CSS 1 & 2
- HTML5 Interactive Websites
- Flash Web Animation
Work Experience & Employment
2018–Current | San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Full-Time | November 2018—Current
- Create technical and design-related solutions for clients.
- Design templates and stylesheets for Inkling's Habitat content.
- Consult with clients to develop their learning goals.
- Partner with editorial teams to ensure quality and accuracy of styled content.
2015–2018 | San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Lead Designer & Director of Website Development
Full-Time | June 2018—November 2018
- Lead and direct design projects. Design and develop assets for clients, internal marketing and branding initiatives. Research and develop a company-wide visual standard.
- Lead and direct the web team. Manage website projects, web service deliverables, research and development.
- Establish and maintain client relationships.
- Aid executive team with internal operations, employee and client on/off-boarding processes, project management, and related administrative tasks where needed.
Part-Time | August 2016—June 2018 (2 years)
- Consulting strategist for company services, branding, and operations.
- Additionally, I am a supporting website developer, designer, and SEO specialist.
Web Team Manager
Full-Time | January—August 2016 (8 months)
- Review employee tasks and hours to properly distribute workload to stay within a specified work-scope.
- Communicate with clients to keep business relationships healthy and affluent.
- Initiate, develop, and implement various web services: CMS Maintenance, OnPage SEO, OffPage SEO, SEM Research, and more.
- Assist with company operations and business development.
- Sustain a lead role for all website development projects, while fulfilling additional roles such as content developer, web developer, or tester.
- Preparation of website content and media for deployment of new websites.
Contractor | June–December 2015 (6 months)
- Provide routine optimization of website content and utilize tools such as Google Analytics, Google Search Console, PageSpeed Insights, or Bing Webmaster Tools to increase user sessions and conversions.
- Suggest and assist with the development of quality website content and user experience. Suggest improvements to marketing campaign or changes to client website dependent on user data.
- Design and/or develop mobile-friendly email templates using HTML and CSS in MailChimp.
2015–Current | Cotati, CA
Visual Designer & Website Specialist
Contractor | March 2018—Current
- Designed, developed, and deployed a series of WordPress websites for all sister companies. Each website was interconnected with a parent-child theme system and individually branded.
Contractor | March 2015—March 2018 (3 years)
- Enhanced the consistency of company branding and marketing assets by improving designs for business cards & email signatures.
Design Working Group
January–May 2018 | San Francisco, CA
Internship/Practicum | January—May 2018 (5 months)
- Participated in group critiques and collaborative design processes.
- Corresponded with clients and helped facilitate project management.
- Worked on projects involving poster design, signage design, and editorial design.
2011–2015 | Santa Rosa, CA
Full & Part-Time | January 2012—June 2015 (3 years)
- Created interactive landing pages using Photoshop mock-ups/assets for Google AdWord campaigns using Bootstrap, HTML, CSS, and jQuery.
- Provided routine website maintenance to hundreds of clients simultaneously.
- Updates included changes to website content (HTML), styles (CSS), behavior (jQuery), editing images, modifying flash media, adding or improving responsive design capabilities—on both legacy HTML and responsive WordPress websites.
- Facilitated the SEO department’s marketing committee to create content for monthly campaign reports. Contributions to the project involved planning and copy writing for blog posts.
Product Support & Trainer
Full-Time | September 2011—December 2012 (1 year)
- Provided technical customer support and training for clients using WordPress websites and iPad software applications.
- Fabrication and implementation of software documentation for iPad application.
- Included a basic website built with HTML & CSS, copy writing, and supportive visual media for clients.
2007–2013 | Santa Rosa, CA
Graphic Designer/Web Developer
Contractor | September 2011—2013 (2 years)
- Improved website accessibility, load time, and performance by replacing outdated flash media with HTML and CSS.
- Designed and developed unique landing pages for annual auction events.
- Included a jQuery photo gallery and option to buy tickets online via PayPal.
- Established a plan and design for marketing to clients, prospective hires, and community, utilizing a series of brochures targeted for each demographic.
Part-Time | Summer 2007, 2008, 2009 (3 years)
- Assisted with the design process for various murals, signage, and art pieces.
- Participated in the coloring, painting, and installation process of various art projects.
BYU-I Comm Student Media
Spring 2010 | Rexburg, ID
Junior Graphic Designer
Internship/Practicum | January–May 2010 (5 months)
- Designed dozens of newsprint advertisements for the student newspaper "The Scroll".
- Designed client documents and advertising tools such as booklets or brochures.
- Collaborative engagement in creative processes to create campaign ideas and assets.