Visual Designer & Website Developer
My skill-set spans both visual design and website development. Beyond this, my most praised abilities lie within communication, leadership, and strategic-thinking.
Nothing is more attractive to me than creating something—I get lost in it. With the right combination of planning, training, and collaboration I’m able to manage teams with successful outcomes. I’m always sharping the tools in my belt by challenging myself with new projects just outside my comfort zone.
Design is a process of understanding—and I wish to understand the world around me.
Jacob recently graduated from San Francisco State University with a Bachelor’s degree in Visual Communication Design. Jacob currently resides in Oakland, CA with his partner.
Lately, my aspirations are moving me out of web development and into visual design. I have no reservations against working in the industry of web development—I just want to make visual design the primary aspect of my career.
Skills & Proficiencies
Creative SoftwareAdobe PhotoshopAdobe IllustratorAdobe InDesignAdobe XDAdobe Acrobat
SEO & Marketing ToolsGoogle Tag ManagerGoogle Search ConsoleGoogle AnalyticsSEMrushMailChimpBuffer
CMS & FrameworksWordPressMaterializeCSSBootstrap
Areas of Expertise
Visual DesignGraphic Design, Print Design, Brand Design, Information Design
UX/UI DesignWeb Design, User-Interface Design, User-Experience Design
Website DevelopmentResponsive Design, WordPress Theme Development, Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Digital MarketingSocial Media Marketing, Email Marketing
Leadership & ManagementProject Management, Business Operations
Certification, Education, and Training
Bachelor of Science: Visual Communication Design
Spring 2018 | San Francisco State University
Honors & Achievements:
- Graduated with Honors, Spring 2018
- Senior Honor Roll, College of Liberal
& Creative Arts, Fall 2017
- 1st Place, Best in Class: GreenThumbs App,
DES 324 Oral Competition, Fall 2017
- 1st Place, Best Hack to Reduce Online
Harassment Award, March 2017
- 1st Place, Best Beginner Award, March 2017
Student Organizations & Events:
- Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, and
Creative Activities Showcase Participant, Spring 2018
- SF Hacks Participant, Spring 2017
- Co-Founder & Treasurer of Occult Club at SFSU,
- Member of INCubed, Spring & Fall 2017
- Member of AIGA, Spring 2017
Computer Science Certification: Web Graphic Designer
May 2013 | Santa Rosa Junior College
- Principles of Screen Design
- Advanced Web Graphics
- Computer Studies Internship
- Web Design CSS/Graphics
Computer Science Certification: HTML Web Content Developer
December 2012 | Santa Rosa Junior College
- Cascading Style Sheets
- HTML and CSS 1 & 2
- HTML5 Interactive Websites
- Flash Web Animation
Work Experience & Employment
2015–Current | San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Lead Designer & Director of Website Development
Full-Time | June 2018—Current
- Lead and direct design projects. Design and develop assets for clients, internal marketing and branding initiatives. Research and develop a company-wide visual standard.
- Lead and direct the web team. Manage website projects, web service deliverables, research and development.
- Establish and maintain client relationships.
- Aid executive team with internal operations, employee and client on/off-boarding processes, project management, and related administrative tasks where needed.
Part-Time | August 2016—June 2018 (2 years)
- Consulting strategist for company services, branding, and operations.
- Additionally, I am a supporting website developer, designer, and SEO specialist.
Web Team Manager
Full-Time | January—August 2016 (8 months)
- Review employee tasks and hours to properly distribute workload to stay within a specified work-scope.
- Communicate with clients to keep business relationships healthy and affluent.
- Initiate, develop, and implement various web services: CMS Maintenance, OnPage SEO, OffPage SEO, SEM Research, and more.
- Assist with company operations and business development.
- Sustain a lead role for all website development projects, while fulfilling additional roles such as content developer, web developer, or tester.
- Preparation of website content and media for deployment of new websites.
Contractor | June–December 2015 (6 months)
- Provide routine optimization of website content and utilize tools such as Google Analytics, Google Search Console, PageSpeed Insights, or Bing Webmaster Tools to increase user sessions and conversions.
- Suggest and assist with the development of quality website content and user experience. Suggest improvements to marketing campaign or changes to client website dependent on user data.
- Design and/or develop mobile-friendly email templates using HTML and CSS in MailChimp.
2015–Current | Cotati, CA
Visual Designer & Website Specialist
Contractor | March 2018—Current
- Designed, developed, and deployed a series of WordPress websites for all sister companies. Each website was interconnected with a parent-child theme system and individually branded.
Contractor | March 2015—March 2018 (3 years)
- Enhanced the consistency of company branding and marketing assets by improving designs for business cards & email signatures.
Design Working Group
January–May 2018 | San Francisco, CA
Internship/Practicum | January—May 2018 (5 months)
- Participated in group critiques and collaborative design processes.
- Corresponded with clients and helped facilitate project management.
- Worked on projects involving poster design, signage design, and editorial design.
2011–2015 | Santa Rosa, CA
Full & Part-Time | January 2012—June 2015 (3 years)
- Created interactive landing pages using Photoshop mock-ups/assets for Google AdWord campaigns using Bootstrap, HTML, CSS, and jQuery.
- Provided routine website maintenance to hundreds of clients simultaneously.
- Updates included changes to website content (HTML), styles (CSS), behavior (jQuery), editing images, modifying flash media, adding or improving responsive design capabilities—on both legacy HTML and responsive WordPress websites.
- Facilitated the SEO department’s marketing committee to create content for monthly campaign reports. Contributions to the project involved planning and copy writing for blog posts.
Product Support & Trainer
Full-Time | September 2011—December 2012 (1 year)
- Provided technical customer support and training for clients using WordPress websites and iPad software applications.
- Fabrication and implementation of software documentation for iPad application.
- Included a basic website built with HTML & CSS, copy writing, and supportive visual media for clients.
2007–2013 | Santa Rosa, CA
Graphic Designer/Web Developer
Contractor | September 2011—2013 (2 years)
- Improved website accessibility, load time, and performance by replacing outdated flash media with HTML and CSS.
- Designed and developed unique landing pages for annual auction events.
- Included a jQuery photo gallery and option to buy tickets online via PayPal.
- Established a plan and design for marketing to clients, prospective hires, and community, utilizing a series of brochures targeted for each demographic.
Part-Time | Summer 2007, 2008, 2009 (3 years)
- Assisted with the design process for various murals, signage, and art pieces.
- Participated in the coloring, painting, and installation process of various art projects.
BYU-I Comm Student Media
Spring 2010 | Rexburg, ID
Junior Graphic Designer
Internship/Practicum | January–May 2010 (5 months)
- Designed dozens of newsprint advertisements for the student newspaper "The Scroll".
- Designed client documents and advertising tools such as booklets or brochures.
- Collaborative engagement in creative processes to create campaign ideas and assets.
Awards and Recognitions
SF Hacks 2017, Major League Hackathon
Spring 2017 | San Francisco, CA
Project: Social Shape Interspace
- 1st Place, Category: Best Beginner Category
- 1st Place, Category: Best Hack to Reduce Online Harassment Category
Eagle Scout Award
Spring 2006 | Boy Scouts of America
Service Project (Santa Rosa, CA)
- Built a series of benches for Roseland Elementary School
Art Department Senior Award
Spring 2009 | Maria Carillo High School
Recoginized for achievements in AP Studio Art.
I've been featured in the news! Here are some articles related to projects I've been involved with.
"Public art requirement could further boost student Artstart program"
by JLoceff | North Bay Business Journal | March 29, 2010
My insight was shared on what Artstart can provide for aspiring professional artists.
"Signs of creativity on the street"
by Mary Callahan | Press Democrat | September 9, 2008
Our art instillations stirred up controversey among business owners in the community. I shared my perspective on the project.